Thursday, April 10, 2014

Why Lupita Matters More Than You Think


“Her beauty was like a language he didn’t speak and had never heard.” D. Nurske


Whoever thought that a name like Lupita Nyong’o would be a household one? The 12 Years a Slave actress and Academy Award winner has skyrocketed from an unknown with no major film roles to Hollywood’s newest “it” girl. With all the clout surrounding Lupita, it’s no wonder she was selected by Lancôme cosmetics to be their new brand ambassador. Her streak of awesomeness continues with her feature on the cover of the latest issue of Marie Claire magazine. The Yale-graduate, 31, is one of five young stars included in the fashion magazine’s Fresh Faces issue.  


These latest accomplishments, seemingly superficial to the naked consciousness, are feats to be counted as a shift in America’s realization that beauty is not to be determined by color. The announcement this week by Lancôme that Lupita would be its very first black female brand ambassador, earmarks the period in which the world of fashion and beauty have begun to transform its thinking that beauty is possessed only by European featured women.  As contrary to the point as one could get, the African actress is redefining beauty with one stroke of brilliance and accuracy. Perhaps done unintentionally, Lupita has become a beckon of hope to many young, African-American girls who have struggled with their complexion and self-esteem, searching for a sign of reassurance that they too are beautiful (by American standards).   

During Lupita’s acceptance speech at Essence’s Black Women in Hollywood luncheon, she spoke openly about her personal challenges with growing up with a darker complexion. 
“I remember a time when I too felt unbeautiful. I put on the TV and only saw pale skin. I got teased and taunted about my night-shaded skin. And my one prayer to God, the miracle worker, was that I would wake up lighter-skinned. The morning would come and I would be so excited about seeing my new skin that I would refuse to look down at myself until I was in front of a mirror because I wanted to see my fair face first. And every day I experienced the same disappointment of being just as dark as I had been the day before. I tried to negotiate with God: I told him I would stop stealing sugar cubes at night if he gave me what I wanted; I would listen to my mother's every word and never lose my school sweater again if he just made me a little lighter. But I guess God was unimpressed with my bargaining chips because He never listened.”

The gracious and authentic nature of Lupita certainly makes her more beautiful internally than it does outwardly. Either way I’m grateful that girls and women of color have a role model like her.




I do not claim ownership to the above images.

No comments:

Post a Comment