Friday, August 29, 2014

Fashion Friday: Black Girls on White Pages


Joan Smalls for Gucci


Malaika Firth for Burberry


Binx Walton for Chanel


Interestingly, years ago I unsubscribed to several magazines as a teenager because I grew weary of the constant page turning and rarely seeing myself represented. Cover to cover I would search for a glimpse of shaded pigmentation in the pages of Elle, Seventeen, Teen Vogue, and the lists goes on. Now that I can more easily get my fashion-fix online, my heart leaped when I came across Essence's, "Black Models in Fall 2014 Ad Campaigns". Writer Dominique Hobdy-Olibrice highlighted, 'A round-up of models of the moment in September fashion magazines'. Personally I couldn't look at the photos fast enough or intensely enough, nostalgically remembering my teenage years when I thought that I might one day have a chance to grace the runways of well, anywhere. Roundups like these highlighting the presence of Black models in ad campaigns make me so proud that we take the time as women, particularly as Black women to honor and recognize each others' achievements and beauty. 

Yaya Dacosta for Tom Ford. Yaya will soon be playing the legendary Whitney Houston in a made-for-TV movie on Lifetime.


Veteran, Liya Kebede for Louis Vuitton


Binx Walton for Coach


Jourdan Dunn, Kayla Scott, Ysaunny Brito and Binx Walton for Balmain


Ysaunny Brito for Neil Barrett


Malaika Firth for Tommy Hilfiger


Joan Smalls For Missoni





I do not claim ownership to the above images.

No comments:

Post a Comment