Thursday, September 11, 2014

Think About It Thursday: Everything That Glitters Isn't Gold



What are you unwilling to accept? This question can be posed to many people in a variety of scenarios, but as a woman what are you unwilling to accept in your relationship? This new age woman and new breed of man have roles blending and overlapping to the point where many people accept whatever their spouse throws their way. For instance, a reader wrote a popular blog site requesting advice on how she can get her boyfriend to stop spending the night at his ‘baby mama’s house’. What about the NFL player who punched his then fiancĂ©e, yet she still married him. Not to mention the young woman who was so fed up  with waiting for her beau to propose-in a crowded club, surrounded by onlookers in her pretty white dress, got on her knees with ring in hand and proposed to him. I know society is constantly ramming the notions that there is no such thing as gender roles, and a good man is hard to find; but as women let’s once more set the standard. People in any given situation will treat you how you allow them to treat you.



I am unwilling to accept any excuse a man has to continue to sleep over and play house with the mother of his child. I’m unwilling to accept getting punched in the face by the man who persistently declares his unwavering love for me. I’m unwilling to accept getting on my knees in a crowded club, in my pretty white dress and propose to a man-just to later wonder why the roles in my household are so blurred and ultimately reversed. Perhaps I’m just used to classic chivalry of the southern gentleman that I find so endearing in my husband. Perhaps I’m so unwilling to accept certain things from a man because I have such an excellent example of what a happy, healthy relationship is supposed to look like. My parents recently celebrated their 41st wedding anniversary. The roles in my household growing up have always been clear and defined. I’ve never seen or heard either one of my parents disrespect the other. Perhaps in 2014 there are still a few traditionalists that understand the point I’m trying to make. Everyone wants to be forward thinking, new age, etc., etc., Ask yourself, is it worth it.




No comments:

Post a Comment