Monday, November 10, 2014

Interview Series: Young, Gifted and Fresh-Shayla Courtney

"True self-discovery is a lifelong journey, successfully mastered by those with tenacious drive and who are unafraid of failure." -Stacy Robinson



The people featured in this Young, Gifted and Fresh interview series are not necessarily what most people would consider to be accomplished, because the majority of society equates a sizable bank account as the only measurement of notable success. Instead, they are featured because they have veered from the beaten path and decided to take the road less traveled.  

Life is a journey is as clichéd a phrase as one could imagine, but sometimes there is profound truth in simplicity. Life's journey is complex, and a formidable burden, especially when there are no guarantees having not been born with a silver spoon. The Young, Gifted and Fresh that are featured are in the process of making their own way and living out their dreams.  

This series is one that I hope will be ongoing and ever evolving. For now, let me start with a few entrepreneurs, educators, stylists, and a nonprofit founder. They all have one thing in common; they have discovered their purpose and are chasing their dreams. Tune in every Monday over the course of the next few weeks as I introduce a few people worthy of the title, Young, Gifted and Fresh.




SHAYLA COURTNEY
Shayla Courtney is a motivated young woman who has not let the fear of the unknown deter her from pursuing her dreams. Unlike most people, Shayla decided to set goals, create an exit strategy and leave her job, making her the ultimate dream chaser. 



 
What inspired you to leave your past position and pursue being a Fashion Stylist full-time? 

I've always dreamed of paving my own way in the fashion Industry and knew that I would eventually be an entrepreneur full time. Since 2011 I have been planning and prepping until finally, after much prayer, I took the leap! I was truly inspired by my own dreams and vision God has given me! 

What services do you offer in addition to styling?

As a fashion stylist I offer closet organizing, wardrobe consulting, and event styling. As an industry professional I offer services to fashion based business that include  creating dynamic visual displays, photo shoot styling, fashion brand consulting, and fashion writing services. 

What are the best and worst parts about working for yourself?

The best part about working for myself is having the time to truly put 100% of me into my business. And control my own calendar. The worst is that everyone thinks you have so much time to do for them and you don't! You're busy running a business.

What are some of the challenges you face as a stylist?

The first challenge that comes to mind is getting people to realize how important really style is! I created my STYLEBRAND campaign to promote what STYLE means for the everyday, for business, and how it affects your life. The second challenge is convincing a difficult client to try new things. But that's always a challenge I love and conquer.

What is your single most memorable experience as a stylist?

My most memorable experience was working with one client I had and she literally was so happy after her consultation she nearly cried! She felt so much better after the experience and her perspective changed after knowing what to do with her style. She was so pleased and promised she would be a client for a life. 

Describe a typical day-in-the-life of Shayla Courtney.

There really is no typical day for me! I do start off every morning praying and then reading. Workouts in the morning, and then there's consultations, marketing plans, events, and usually a meeting every day. 



Who and/or what inspires you?

I'm inspired by art, design, creativity and my Fab Five-- my circle of persons who are just as driven, inspiring, and go-getters.

Who and/or what motivates you? 

I'm motivated most by my parents. I've always wanted to make them proud. My boyfriend motivates me too! He is always pushing me by being super positive. 

If you could style two celebrity clients, one male and one female, who would they be and why?

I absolutely love K.Michelle! She has the voice of an angel. I would love to get her style to a place that helps her build a better image and matches the voice she carries! 

The man I would make over is Nelly! He's like way hot, but he's gotten a little older and could easily be a well-dressed gentleman if he gave up the street boy image.

What are you currently working on? Any upcoming projects you want to share?


I'm currently working on The Shayla Courtney SCANDAL. It’s a huge offer I'm doing as a thank you to all of followers! It's 60 minutes of STYLE for only $65! They can book me at www.shaylacourtney.com/the-scandal  


I do have a couple of upcoming projects as well! I plan on having some BIG events in the next months! Make sure to stay tuned to my website (www.shaylacourtney.com) and IG account (@iamshaylacourtney).

What advice do you have for someone working a 9-5 job, wants to pursue a dream full-time, but doesn’t have the financial means to leave their current employer?

My advice is to take your time, save your money, and make an exit strategy! I'm currently working with two business owners assisting them in planning their exit strategy. As a business consultant who's experienced it first-hand I definitely know the plan is everything! 

What do you want Faith and Stars readers to know about you and your business(es)? 

I work hard because I truly do believe that everyone can have a style that doesn't just make them look good but makes them feel good too! I breathe style, live style, and like all the greats say-I am fashion!  

It takes a lot of wherewithal in oneself and one’s ability to leave a secure job. At a young age we are groomed to make good grades, go to college, get a good job, and work on a retirement plan. Shayla has taken it upon herself to create her own destiny. Facing all the unknowns, she still decided that in making her own way-that was the brightest future. Her story is compelling because it brings to light what is missing in our educational system-teaching people to be creative entrepreneurs. Imagine what our economy would look like if we were groomed to go against the grain, and work for ourselves, verses robotically punching in at a 9-5.

Contact info: Shayla Courtney
IG: @iamshaylacourtney
Twitter: @shaylacourtney

Tune in next Monday for the interview with the dream chaser named Nicole Richardson who recently took a trip to the Big Apple to hone her craft.

If you or someone you know would like to be a part of the interview series, Young, Gifted and Fresh, contact me at stacysfaithandstars@gmail.com

Click here to read the previous interview with Shaunita Sykes

No comments:

Post a Comment