Monday, November 3, 2014

Interview Series: Young, Gifted and Fresh-Shaunita Sykes


"True self-discovery is a lifelong journey, successfully mastered by those with tenacious drive and who are unafraid of failure." -Stacy Robinson




The people featured in this Young, Gifted and Fresh interview series are not necessarily what most people would consider to be accomplished, because the majority of society equates a sizable bank account as the only measurement of notable success. Instead, they are featured because they have veered from the beaten path and decided to take the road less traveled.  

Life is a journey is as clichéd a phrase as one could imagine, but sometimes there is profound truth in simplicity. Life's journey is complex, and a formidable burden, especially when there are no guarantees having not been born with a silver spoon. The Young, Gifted and Fresh that are featured are in the process of making their own way and living out their dreams. 

This series is one that I hope will be ongoing and ever evolving. For now, let me start with a few entrepreneurs, educators, stylists, and a nonprofit founder. They all have one thing in common; they have discovered their purpose and are chasing their dreams. Tune in every Monday over the course of the next few weeks as I introduce a few people worthy of the title, Young, Gifted and Fresh.  

Shaunita Sykes 

 

Shaunita Sykes is an educator, motivational speaker and business owner. If that were not impressive enough, her passion to be a lifelong learner has motivated her to pursue a doctoral degree. Talk about being multifaceted. 









What is "Coi" Styles and its meaning?

Coi as an acronym is conflict of interest. The word coy means alluring shyness (flirtatious).  I consider myself and the vision I’ve had for my fashion business (which I’ve had since my days as a fashion merchandising student in 2007/08) to be coy.  Changing it to Coi came from my desire always put my twist on things, whether it’s fashion, spelling of words, art, cooking, etc.  My personal acronym for coi is conflict of interblis; another play on words.
Coi Styles is my vision that there is something very attractive about a classy lady.  They idea is that the style is coi, not the person.  I am a person who does not like the trends of “bad b[-words]” and any other demeaning term towards ladies.  Coi Styles is for all ladies who believe in the same.

Describe the Coi Styles customer. 

The target audience for Coi Styles is a group of individuals who consider themselves a lady.  They are between the ages of 23 and 45, working class or above, appreciate affordable fashions, understand that class is not about the clothing, but about how we carry ourselves, travel, socially active, and proud to say that they are a Lady of Class. I can’t forget, all Coi Styles ladies, "Think like a lady. Dress like one too". 

Lady of Class goes against everything the media is shoving down our throats. With Love and Hip-Hop, Basketball Wives, and the Real Housewives, people are being taught that getting ahead is best achieved when you curse, fight and step on whomever, if for nothing else but an opportunity for a few moments of fame. The Lady of Class movement is a reminder that a real lady seeks to empower others while dressing for success. 



Enlighten us on Lady of Class.

Lady of Class is simply another way to say Coi or Classy Lady.  I’m a lover of Chanel, and Coi Styles channels that; very classic, timeless, and simple yet bold.  Lady of Class is my first line of exclusive Coi Styles products.  I am currently working on my own label, simply called Coi.  There is currently a Lady of Class” t-shirt and tea (or coffee) mug available for purchase.



What is My Destiny Empowers?

My Destiny Empowers is a speaking and educational services business.  Most speakers use their name as their business name and to market their products, but I wanted to demonstrate through the business’s name that this life is not about me.  My Destiny Empowers seeks to advocate for and educate underserved populations; primarily those who are prospective and current first generation college students.  I simply want empower them to know their options and to believe in their dreams so much that nothing stops them from reaching their goals.

 
The mission of My Destiny Enterprises is to provide quality services that foster productivity amongst world citizens who are committed to living a fulfilling life. This company will help individuals become well-informed citizens who are self-sufficient, socially responsible and continuously striving for excellence. There is a plan to eliminate, or at best, alleviate the woes of inner city living that are results of limited resources.

What inspired you to start both, My Destiny Empowers and Coi Styles?
 
I was inspired to do both because I am a believer that we CAN “do it all”.  People often say pick one things and drive it home.  The most prosperous people are passionate about one thing, but they have many derivatives of that one thing that helps to make them as prosperous as they are.  For example, my passion is educating people.  I am now able to do that through My Destiny Empowers AND Coi Styles Boutique.  Both are avenues to help people evolve.
Another thing that inspired me to do both is that I am not seeing as much passion in education or fashion as I used to.  I want to see it come back.

Describe My Destiny Empowers in three words.  Describe Coi Styles in three words. 
 
My Destiny Empowers described in three words: empowering, realistic, and passionate. Coi Styles described in three words: classy, stylish, and sleek.

If you could have one celebrity to endorse your brands My Destiny Empowers and Coi Styles who would it be and why?
 
Coi Styles endorsement: It’s tough to choose one here.  I would choose Angelina Jolie and Kerry Washington.  If I HAD to choose one it would be Kerry Washington. Although I don’t watch television, she is the “it girl” right now.  I am not fond of her character, but I love the character’s style and I love Kerry off the screen.  She’s poised, seems approachable, maintains class and style, and I’ve loved her since I first saw her in a movie called Lift.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen her rocking a t-shirt and jeans, but I could see her in a Lady of Class, Coi t-shirt sipping on organic tea from her Lady of Class, Coi teacup. 

"Sometimes I can't believe people want to hear my perspective. Then I realize, I don't have a choice but to share. It's My Destiny."



Knowing that you are an advocate for education, what are you currently pursuing? 

Education wise, I am currently pursuing my doctorate degree (EDD) in higher education leadership, with a minor in Urban Education.  I’m also working on certification as an academic counselor/advisor of Appreciative Advising.  I’ll always be a lover of knowledge over education though, so I am always watching, observing, and learning new things.  Currently, I am teaching myself about meditation.

With all that you do personally and professionally, how do you manage your time?

To-do list and saying no unapologetically helps me to manage my time.  I have a planner because seeing things written out in my own handwriting is much better than any app or computer program.

What motivates you?

Seeing items on my to-do list with a line through them for completion and knowing that what I do is not solely for me.  The Most High is counting on me to be the voice of so many. Too, I listen to Bob Marley a lot and his words inspire me… they keep me motivated to keep pushing.
What do you want Faith and Stars readers to know about you and your companies?
That they are built on passion and love and that anything a person wants all they have to do is “Envision it. Live it. One love. One life.” Peace.


Shaunita's mission is to help her community by "eliminating or at best, alleviating the woes of inner city living". She encourages the citizens of her community to get involved, and is doing so by leading by example. As people across the nation rally at the polls tomorrow for mid-term elections, Shaunita has met with a city official to discuss change. Stephanie N. Morales, candidate for Portsmouth Commonwealth's Attorney, recently met with several I.C. Norcom graduates, turned local business owners to discuss the state of the city of Portsmouth.

"We spoke at length about the issues our city faces and how we can address those issues together. We must continue to engage each other and hold each other accountable for the success of our city. We can only do this together and I'm running for Commonwealth's Attorney to work with you to create a safe and strong Portsmouth for us all." -Stephani N. Morales

Stephanie N. Morales pictured with Shaunita Sykes, other local business owners and Kroger Marketplace management.


Shaunita is Young, Gifted and Fresh because not only does she own Coi Styles and My Destiny Empowers, she lives by the very essence of what those two ventures represent.  I am not sure how she finds the time to do so much and still make time for herself and loved ones. My only guess is that is has learned to connect and operate in her God-space. That is the place where one connects to God and draws whatever one may need from Him. In that space she has found passion, drive, and a ferocious will to succeed and empower people along the way. 

It is my hope that we all take away pieces of each other from this series and learn to connect and operate in our individual God-space. 


Contact info: Shaunita .Ni. Sykes
Coi Styles Boutique
IG- @coistyles
Twitter- @coistyles


My Destiny Empowers
757-932-0360
IG- @mydestinyempowers
Twitter: mydestinyempwrs


Tune in next Monday for the interview with the dream chaser named Shayla Courtney who left Corporate America to follow her passion and pursue her purpose.

If you or someone you know would like to be a part of the interview series, Young, Gifted and Fresh, contact me at stacysfaithandstars@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment